The Company was incorporated in 1978 to oversee operations in onshore concession areas covering approximately 21,000 square kilometers including five of the most important mainland oilfields in the region. During the first quarter of 2006, the inauguration of the North East BAB has been started.
Job Purpose & Scope
· Manages, directs and guides the Subsurface Rock Characterization R&D Group in conducting high-quality R&D to ensure development of innovative, efficient and environmentally acceptable and cost effective technical solutions for exploitation of ADCO’s complicated reservoirs in order to sustain production capacity and replace reserves (70% and higher recovery factor).
· Develops capabilities of the Subsurface Rock Characterization R&D Group and help attracting and developing UAE talent while promoting the knowledge transfer of science and technology to the young generation and across ADNOC group:
o Identifies ADCO Researchers and co-supervises their research activities/studies while working on “Rock Characterization” related research projects.
o Initiates and leads the development of “Rock Characterization” related research proposals in collaboration with the selected partner university (Carbonate Rock Characterization Research Center).
o Helps to build Integrated Networks of Carbonate Centers of Excellence (EOR, Rock Characterization, Fracture Characterization and Reservoir Simulation/Modeling Framework).
o Identify IP and Patentable innovations on behalf of ADCO/ADNOC and make sure are registered.
Operating Budget ($million USD)
Nature of budgetary control
Capital Budget ($million USD)
Nature of budgetary control
Contracts Value ($million USD)
Nature of budgetary control
Latitude of Operation
· Work within broad guidelines and policies of the ADCO and exercise considerable authority, responsibility and control in line with delegated authorities.
· Keeps Subsurface R&D Manager informed on work progress.
· Regular contact with partner universities and their faculty and researchers (ADCO “researchers” participating graduate studies in partner universities).
· Frequent contact with ADCO TC organization, ADNOC R&D (OSC), ADNOC group R&D, PI and PIRC and other research organizations.
· Responsible for designing and implementing a portfolio of “Rock Characterization” sponsored research performed externally and jointly with world class academic institutions to fulfill ADCO business driven applied R&D mission.
· Responsible for selecting ADCO “Researchers” to work on “Rock Characterization” research portfolio and co-supervising the research activities and progress of the ADCO researchers toward fulfilling their graduate studies requirements. The research emphasis will be on DRP, network modeling, scaling up and unified reservoir rock typing cross all ADCO assets.
· Responsible for managing execution of research projects with the partner universities including issuance of quarterly and annual reports and organizing 2 yearly technical meetings in ADCO.
· Responsible for identifying and nominating UAE talent who are capable and willing to acquire higher education (PhD) with the specified International Institutions. Also, mutually supervise these UAE talents during their education abroad and ensure follow-up of their studies.
· Understands and promotes the company’s health, safety & environmental policy and objectives; to perform work in accordance with the company’s established rules, regulations and approved procedures; to intervene to stop unsafe acts and practices; and to be accountable for the wellbeing and safety of own self and others, including all contracted labor force – unskilled, semiskilled, and skilled.
· Plans, directs and actively participates in ongoing training and professional development of self and subordinates with special emphasis on UAE Nationals. This includes assessing employees’ training and development needs, directing the preparation of structured development programs, monitoring progress and counseling trainees on alternative career paths and job profiles available in the company.
· Ensures that the R&D function is working toward achieving its respective objectives through selecting the best UAE talents and dedicated professionals.
· Anticipates proactively the major technology changes in the Oil and Gas Industry.
· Oversees the development of an advanced Subsurface R&D team in Carbonate Rock Characterization and seamless integration with other R&D categories (EOR, Fracture Characterization and Reservoir Simulation/Modeling Framework).
· Initiates business driven R&D ideas/proposals that results in new innovative technologies towards achieving ADCO’s objectives for sustainability and 70+% recovery factor and unconventional reserves.
· Captures and organize results of research and transfer relevant findings, advancements and technologies into appropriate units within ADNOC group and beyond.
· Facilitates and develops a technology mutual learning/ best practices framework between ADCO, other ADNOC OPCOs and PI/ PIRC via workshops, seminars and joint projects and publications at international or regional events.
· Fosters research and development as a professional endeavor that is critical in the advancement of human capital while nurturing a work environment that is recognized and admired for its People, Performance, Progressiveness and Partnership.
· Supports and fosters PI in the development of world-class research laboratories at PIRC, in the definition, execution and follow-through of ADCO sponsored projects. Also, facilitates the coupling of research activity with the educational mission of the Petroleum Institute to provide pathways for scholarly growth of PI faculty and opportunities for intensive research experiences for PI students.
· Provides timely and complete progress reports to Subsurface R&D Manager.
· Ph.D. in Engineering or Geo-Science.
· 20-25 years of experience working on fundamental and applied R&D relevant to Rock Characterization in Oil and Gas industry, Petroleum Engineering/Geoscience and/or Petrophysics and/or research organizations affiliated with the oil and gas industry.
· Has expertise in digital rock physics, SCAL, network modeling and reservoir rock properties characterization (scale-up from nano to log).
· 3-5 years in a managerial role overseeing locally and externally sponsored research.
· Strong managerial & leadership
· Decision making and risk management
· Communication, negotiation and persuasion
· Visioning, strategy and planning
· Sincere interest in coaching & mentoring
· Commitment to the philosophy, mission, values, and vision of ADCO
· Drive and enthusiasm and passion for R&D
· Assertive and progressive
· Positive thinker
· 60% air conditioned office
· 10% field visits
· 30% travel